I Can Do That: for Myself, My Future, My World
Delta West Academy wants every child to be successful in whatever they choose to do - to be inspired as life-long achievers.
So, we instill an “I can do that” attitude in all of our students. Dr. Alberta Bandura calls it “self-efficacy: a person’s belief in his or her ability to succeed in a particular situation”. Students with a strong sense of self-efficacy:
- View challenging problems as tasks to be mastered
- Are better able to think productively by applying positive thinking skills when facing a challenge
- Engage with high motivation
- Focus stronger effort on any task, activity, interest or goal
- Recover quickly from setbacks and disappointments
- Are less vulnerable to stress and anxiety
Students develop this self-efficacy through the everyday interactions with our staff team and their friends in our dynamic classrooms.
We know our approach to instilling the "I can do that " attitude works because students of varying ability levels, from average to gifted, all achieve Acceptable and Standards of Excellence on provincial Achievement tests, and 100% of our Gr. 12 graduates enjoy being accepted into the universities and programs of their choice. Our alumni keep in touch with us to share their accomplishments and their continued inspired journeys.